We received the news in the "Aquilégio Medicinal" (1st. Inventory of Portuguese Mineral Waters), written by Dr. Francisco da Fonseca Henriques, of the existence of a "(...) spring of hot water, which they call Banho..."
Despite the fact the "Banho" was only used for therapeutic purposes half a century later, already at that time, Dr. Francisco da Fonseca Henriques refers to the "hot water spring" as a therapeutic water with medicinal powers.
On 25 August, on the initiative of Dr. António Augusto da Costa Simões, Dr. Francisco António Diniz and Dr. Alexandre Assis Leão, “Sociedade para o Melhoramento dos Banhos de Luso” is founded.
Representing the Society, we have: “(...) - President, Mr. António Luiz de Sousa Henriques Secco - Treasurer, Mr. Francisco José Gonçalves de Lemos - secretary, António Augusto da Costa Simões - directors, Messrs. Francisco Antonio Diniz, Alexandre de Assis Leão, Gonçalo Tello and Basilio Botelho de Lacerda Lobo.”.
Although incomplete, the new thermal springs establishment opens on the 24th of June for another season of bathing.
- The first Accounts Report of Sociedade para o Melhoramento dos Banhos de Luso, concerning the year of 1854, is drawn up. Only later, in 1859, it is published in "Notícia dos Banhos de Luso".
- The Company purchases a "(...) private plot of land situated to the southwest of the springs up to S. João Fountain".
João Fountain - 19th Century
Água de Luso is sold for the first time:
“(...) Besides consumption on the establishment, the amount of water sold outside the establishment was 3,920 litres during the whole season".
Recognition of the Luso Thermal Spring Water as an excellent table water: “(...) Finally, Luso thermal spring water has a long and prosperous future for internal use because it is excellent".
Doctor António Bento de Sousa
The Chemical Engineer Charles Lepierre conducted, for the first time, the bacteriological analysis of the Luso thermal spring water and classified it as “Very pure or extremely pure water”.
The great difficulty verified at this time, in the post-war period, was for the company to obtain a means of transport, leading it to buy a “(...) truck - vehicle”.
A building was constructed specifically for bottling Água de Luso (the current head office building), where bottling would be conducted until 1970.
On 10 July, the company's current logo is registered for the first time. It was inspired by a sculpture by the famous artist João da Silva. It was applied to the decoration of the drinking fountain of the Thermal Spring Bathing House, shortly after the remodelling of 1934, where it can still be seen today. The drinking fountain is also decorated with a rare and beautiful stained-glass window by the artist Ricardo Léon.
The Grande Hotel de Luso (at the time Grande Hotel das Termas de Luso) was inaugurated on 27 July, designed by the architect Cassiano Branco.
Quality Certification, according to NP EN ISO 9001, awarded by the Portuguese Quality Institute to our facilities.
Considered suitable for the preparation of infant food by the Ministry of Agriculture. But only later, in 2017, did we communicate this on our labels.
Creation of the Luso Foundation, recognised on 12 September of the same year and published in the Diário da República official gazette, 2nd series, no. 217, on 7 November 2008.
Launched in February 2009, it is the first Foundation in Portugal to combine the competencies of a company with the interests of the region where the essential resources for its economic activity are located. As part of Sociedade Central de Cervejas e Bebidas' (SCC) Corporate Responsibility Policy, it is an innovative, ambitious project geared to benefiting all Portuguese people.
A pioneering innovation on the market, free of colourings and preservatives. It is 88% Água de Luso + 12% natural fruit juice.
The Luso brand once again innovates and surprises the Portuguese by entering a new market segment and launching Luso Sparkling. A refreshing water that aims to give gas to the lives of the Portuguese.
ISO 14001:2015 certification, a standard that attests to the best environmental practices, awarded by the Portuguese Certification Association (APCER). The certification reflects Água de Luso's commitment to sustainability, from the preservation and conservation of Nature and Biodiversity in the Bussaco Mountain Range, protecting, and enhancing the water and natural heritage of Luso, where Luso Natural Mineral Water is born, to the bottling and distribution cycle.
Launch of the new 10L box format - the new "bag in box" for water, for more convenient and sustainable consumption at home - the 10L box offers a reduction of -56% in plastic compared to the 7L demijohn.
This pack has an incorporated tap for easy consumer use.
We are the oldest natural mineral water brand in Portugal - and proud to be so!